Face masks on buses, and exemptions
This information has been provided by Brighton and Hove Buses
From 15 June 2020, it is the law that you must wear a face covering when travelling in England on a:
– bus or coach
– train or tram
– ferry or hovercraft or other vessel
– cable car
Information is available about how to wear and make a cloth face covering.
SpeakOut have produced an Easy-Read document which can be accessed here: Covid bus letter easyread.
All passengers must wear a face covering unless they are exempt.
– Children under 11-years-old.
– Not being able to put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability.
– If putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause you severe distress.
– If you are travelling with or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading to communicate.
– To avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others.
– To avoid injury, or to escape a risk of harm, and you do not have a face covering with you.
– To eat or drink, but only if you need to.
– To take medication.
– If a police officer or other official requests you remove your face covering.
• Please support your fellow passengers by wearing a face covering.
• Please also support your fellow passengers who can’t wear a face covering – for varying reasons. It is not always obvious why so please be understanding.
• In order to offer our support to passengers, unable to wear a face covering Brighton and Hove Buses are providing a ‘Face covering – exemption support card’
• You can order a free Helping Hand exemption card online (or cut and paste this link into your web browser https://www.buses.co.uk/helpinghand
Brighton and Hove Buses are working through applications for exemption cards as quickly as possible but if you would prefer not to wait you can use the attached image and you can print your own.
You can also download the file to your phone, or screen shot it and show it to the driver when you board the bus.
You can still apply for a Helping Hand card but it will take longer to arrive.
For any further assistance
Please contact the customer service team on 01273 886200.
or check out the website at www.buses.uk.
A SMS texting services is available for passengers with a hearing impairment on 07583 051915
For further information visit Travel safely by bus