Healthwatch Brighton and Hove started operating on 1st April 2013. We are here to make health and social care services work more effectively for the people who use them. Everything we say and do is informed by our connections to local people.
Our focus is on listening to and understanding the needs, experiences and concerns of people of all ages who use services, and to speak out on their behalf. We work with other organisations who share our values and ethos but we are the only organisation that has the span of responsibility in the city.
As part of a national network, with a local Healthwatch in every local authority area in England, Healthwatch Brighton and Hove is uniquely placed to provide not only a local service but learn from peers, and contribute to and influence the national agenda.
Our role is to ensure that local decision makers and health and social care services put the quality of experiences of people at the heart of their work.
Our mission: To be the consumer champion for health and social care
We are working towards a society in which all of our health and social care needs are heard, understood and met.
Achieving this vision will mean that:
- People shape health and social care delivery
- People influence the services they receive personally
- People hold services to account
We achieve this by:
- listening hard to people, especially the most vulnerable, to understand their experiences and what matters most to them;
- influencing those who have the power to change services so that they better meet people’s needs now and in the future;
- informing and empowering people to get the most from their health and social care services and encouraging other organisations to do the same;
- working with the Healthwatch network to champion service improvement and empower local people.
- We start with people first.
- We work for children, young people and adults.
- We cover all health and social care services.
- We work for everyone, not just those who shout the loudest.
- We set the agenda and make change happen.
- We are responsive. We take what we learn and translate it into action.
- We are innovative and creative. We know that we cannot fix things by sticking to the status quo.
- We work with the network of local Healthwatch organisations and Healthwatch England to make an impact both locally and nationally.
- We are independent and act on behalf of all people.
- We listen to people and speak loudly on their behalf.
- We challenge those in power to design and deliver better health and social care services.
- We like to highlight what works well but are not afraid to point out when things have gone wrong.
- We value knowledge.
- We seek out data and intelligence to challenge assumptions with facts.
- We celebrate and share good practice in health and social care.
- We hold ourselves to the highest possible standards.
- We keep the debate positive, get things done and keep you updated about the progress.
- We work in partnership with the public, the health and social care sectors and the voluntary and community sector.
- We learn from people’s experiences and from specialists and experts. We build on what is already known and collaborate in developing and sharing new insights.
Get in touch with us to help us make a difference!
What we do
How we work
Healthwatch Brighton and Hove consists of a small staff team of 4 supported by around 30 volunteers. We are currently advertising volunteering roles and opportunities for local residents to get involved in helping to run and support our services. We also have a ‘community spokes’ programme reaching out into local areas and communities in the city.
The ‘community spokes’ are Community and Voluntary Sector organisations who help us to provide some services including: engaging with their clients and stakeholders and gathering intelligence on their communities needs and experience of health and care services.
How we are set up
Healthwatch Brighton and Hove CIC is a health and social care watchdog run by and for local people. It is independent of the NHS and Brighton and Hove City Council
Is Healthwatch Brighton and Hove part of the NHS?
No. Healthwatch Brighton and Hove is an independent organisation that is here to represent the views of the people that use health and social care services in the local area.
Is local Healthwatch accountable to Healthwatch England?
No, your local Healthwatch is commissioned by their local authority and will be accountable to them.