We found that vulnerable people applying for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA) have their applications routinely declined.
- A lack of empathy
- Assessors who seem to know little about common medical conditions
- Advocates treated with disrespect
- Reasonable requests e.g. for a home visit declined without explanation
- Benefit assessment reports contained factual inaccuracies and bearing little resemblance to assessment interviews
- An approach which is more about ‘catching people out’ and declining claims rather than actively helping vulnerable people
For full details read our report.