The webinar was coordinated by Healthwatch in Sussex and with the help of Sussex Health and Care Partnership.
Over 100 people across Sussex registered for the event.
What we heard:
- Cancer screenings are currently limited.
- Endoscopy and colonoscopy tests are available but delayed.
- Patients are urged NOT to hold back from contacting their GP with cancer-related concerns.
- Patients have not been lost in the system but focus on corona virus patients has caused delays.
- Patients SHOULD ATTEND hospital appointments.
- Movement towards managed self-care for cancer patients with contact by telephone with cancer specialists .
- Cancer shielding has lifted slightly with 90% of oncology appointments continuing remotely.
- COVID-19 not as risky to cancer patients undergoing treatment, latest studies show.
- Clinicians fear an influx of referrals once restrictions are lifted.
- New lockdown methods are here to stay (remote contact with patients and PPE used by staff).
- Cancer Support services are still available via Macmillan